Sunday, March 7, 2010

Time's flying

Saturday was my full functioning day in Florence on my spring break communications trip. Not much happened during the day, but I somehow still stayed busy. The morning was filled with events with the students spending the semester in Italy, who graciously welcomed us into their semester. We all walked from their villa to the Scandicci market outside of Florence. It is similar to a flea markets with a farmer's market twist. Surprisingly there were products ranging from women's clothes to fresh produce. It was a unique experience that was unlike any I'd had before.

Later Saturday, I went with the group of students who were going to the soccer game. I did not have a ticket but was going to do some interviews with people working for the club. Once we arrived there however, the interviews did not pan out so instead I was able to experience the different culture of a European soccer game. I watched as fans from all ages chanted for their club and stood in lines to watch their team play. I though about how much sports are different in the states. I know we have our die hard fans in every sport but we have a wide variety of sports non are truly sacred, so seeing the fans made me envious of the loyalties shared between them.

Sunday was an easier day because we were able to go into Florence for church at the Church of Christ. This however was not your standard church building, it was a 14-15th century dome building with Corinthian pillars all around. The service was geared more English today than normal because there were 70 Americans in the service. It was amazing worshiping with people who I in any other circumstance would be unable to communicate with. Worshiping and singing songs either in English or Italian helped form a bond with everyone in the room in such a unique way, it really is indescribable.

After worship, there was a potluck prepared for us. It was not like you normal potluck because we were told to sit down and we would be served. The pasta was delicious and when the second course was set out, we begun to serve ourselves. The second course was ribs and it truly made the meal.

Following lunch, my story partner and I were able to spend the afternoon looking searching Florence for our story. We decided to stay near the Duomo, which is the main cathedral in Florence. The church was breathtaking. I really began to look a religion and the history of religion different in the short amount of time I was in the building. There was so much emphasis put into decorating and designing the building that I was envious of those who worshiped there over the years. I could only imagine singing with thousands of others in a building of that magnitude.

Surround the cathedral was a world in its own. There were streets filled with vendors' shops and everything a tourist would ever want from a trip to Italy. It was a cool little market and we spent nearly two hours looking at different items on just two streets of shops. I love walking and watching the people sell at those kinds of shops. Negotiation is encouraged and I would try my best to work with the people despite the language barrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment