Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Futbol and Chocolate a winning combination

Monday, I was awarded an opportunity I could not have imagined prior to my trip to Italy. Some of our group and I were given a personal tour of the Italian National Soccer team's facility. Tourists are not allowed to go into the facility and it is a national landmark. Soccer is the world's largest sport and we were able to see the defending world cup champion's facility. Our personal tour included an interview with a national hero, the team's personal chef. He sat with us and allowed us to pick his brain concerning the team and his job. He is also the Nutella spokesman, which to HUF students is probably significant.

The most interesting part of the day came when we were able to meet with the public relations official for the team. I was able to sit with the most known and powerful public relations officials in the country. My dream job would be to work for a professional team so sitting with the head of public relations for the world's best soccer team was overwhelming. I just sat in awe essentially while trying to take in the entire experience. It was an experience I truly can't put into words. Overwhelmed, does not do justice to what I was feeling.

Tuesday, I traveled with a group from HUF to Perugia, a small village about two hours from Florence by train, as they spent the day taking different pictures. Another one from my group traveled with me and we covered the stories. It was fun to travel with the group because I knew one of them pretty well but the rest I was able to get to know throughout the day. Perugia is know for their chocolates and I took advantage of the one chocolate shop I found. It was a quaint little shop just down from the cathedral. We ventured the weather as well because while we were in Perugia the town was hit with a snow storm. The buses stopped running and we were forced to find our own way to the train station. It was a day filled with both complaints but also one that I would not have wanted to be any other way. The experiences here are helping me realize the important of why things happen and what I can do to take advantage of wrong turns and out of the way short-cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment